Monday, January 26, 2009

Creating New Memories




My Dad passed away November 18th, 2006 - the weekend before Thanksgiving and one month before Christmas. Those were difficult times. In 2007, the sadness from his loss was still there and I have to admit, completely overshadowed our Christmas celebration. This year, I made a real effort to create new memories so we weren't just always talking about memories from previous Christmases when Dad was still with us. Don't get me wrong, I still want to remember and even talk about it - but we need some new, happy memories in my family at this point. For all of us, especially my daughter who was devastated by the loss of her Pawpaw.

One of the things I did was to order t-shirts for all of us to sleep in so that on Christmas morning it would give the illusion that we were wearing matching p.j.'s. I've always thought that was such a cute notion, but when I checked into Christmas pajamas - yikes! It was going to be pretty pricey to deck us all out - all being myself, the hubby, my daughter, my Mom and my youngest sister. They spend the night with us every Christmas Eve so that they can experience Christmas morning with my daughter. Isn't that sweet? I think so!

So, time to get thrifty. I love me a good "find things on the cheap" challenge! I discovered Zazzle on the internet. Have any of you discovered Zazzle? It's so much fun! You can create your own personalized stuff! T-shirts, bags, hoodies, mugs, stamps, cards, even skateboards! Crazy, huh? With a little sprinkle of this and a splattering of that, I created personalized Christmas t-shirt p.j.'s for the whole family for waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than p.j. sets would have been. Complete with nicknames and all!

We have a brand spankin' new memory filled with silliness, joy and laughter!

(Photo #1 & 2 from left to right: My Mom "Mimi", my daughter "Peanut Brittle", my youngest sister "Sash")

2 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you for coming by to see me. It's so nice to meet you & I hope you'll come back often.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks also for the Universal Khaki recommendation. I think that's the maincolor in a client's home that I'm working with & it IS a very pretty color. I may very well go with something like that.